"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Sunday, August 31, 2008

Surf & Sand Challenge - Block 1 - CHINA


Here is a block I made for the Surf and Sand Challenge from the HGTV Message Board. It is from Carol Doak's Mariner's Compass Stars book. We are using Marcus Brothers Surf and Sand fabric for the challenge. You have to use at least two fabrics from that collection per block. The two S & S fabrics in this block are the snowflakes in the background fabric and the blue polka doted fabric on one of the rays. I managed to get a little depth in this one - something I am always trying for but usually miss...

Here it is next to the same pattern in different colors. I like this one better!



Whew!! After several days of working the longarm instead of piecing a block, I really needed some quilting therapy!

3 comments:

Pam said...

Wow, Penny, beautiful block! It looks like it could come right up off the page.

lrmart said...

I like the Surf and Sand block better too.

Lisa

Lindsay Jean said...

I always find Mariner's Compass blocks so impressive! The Surf & Sand colorway is really ideal for the block's watery connotations - and your workmanship is gorgeous!