"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Monday, July 21, 2008

Second thoughts on the Austrian Block

Ya know, that Austria block is starting to grow on me. By having the red rays fade into the background, it kind of makes the blossoms look a bit like sparkles that twinkle along the outside edges. Can you see what I mean?


Or am I just reaching?

I called the Emergency Animal Hospital back in Oklahoma City to ask if they had a website so I could send a picture of Jezebel and thank them for helping her. Instead of actually answering me, they asked why I didn't just send a card.

Well then!

Not long ago, I was involved in a child custody case. The parents couldn't stay in the same room with each other for more than 5 seconds without being at each other's throats. The child is absolutely darling, one of the parents is a doll ("Pat" - not the real name) but the other one ("Chris" - not the real name) is unpleasant, clings to the past, is immature, spiteful, and yells at everyone (including me). I had to wonder what Pat ever saw in Chris in the first place. I even had to write a letter to Chris' attorney (A2) begging A2 to get Chris under control. Now back to Pat - that parent was a pleasure to work with. Polite, sweet, considerate, even tempered. Chris had reported that Pat was a bit of a terror but you had to consider the source.

So anyway, at a recent settlement conference, Pat and Chris and their respective attorneys attended. The parents squabbled, they talked over each other, they dredged up the past, they gave me a headache. Pat cried, Chris glowered and announced that the whole meeting was stupid.

Abruptly, 45 minutes into the meeting, the mood changed. Pat (the good one!) abruptly changed directions and chewed out Chris' attorney. I thought I was going to have to break it up. "NO ONE TALKS TO ME LIKE THAT - I WON'T ALLOW IT!," sez Chris' attorney (I've been in the same shoes). Pat's attorney stayed quiet - maybe the smartest person in the room. Pat (the GOOD one!) even wagged a finger at Chris' attorney and told the attorney to sit down and be quiet. It went downhill from there.

While Pat and Chris were going at it and I was trying to make peace, Chris abruptly apologized to Pat for being a chronic ass. Time stopped. You could have heard a pin drop. We all held our breath. It was like when an angel gets its wings-type moment.

Pat melted.

In between shots aimed at Chris' attorney, Pat (the good one!) was making doe eyes at Chris who made doe eyes right back. It got thicker and thicker as the meeting progressed. Flirting. Smiling. (both sides!). The temperature rose, I swear, 5 degrees while we sat there. I tossed out suggestions to settle the case that would have been wadded up and tossed into the trash the previous week (at least by Chris - the bad one) but on that day, you'd think I was issuing holy writ from the mountain top.

Both parties proceeded to lay compliments on each other like peanut butter on bread. They leaned closer. Chris was so agreeable that I wasn't sure if aliens had abducted the "real" parent and left an impostor.

Pat (the good one) swore at Chris' attorney and we had to take a break. Perhaps the aliens did some sort of body switch.

Pat's attorney stayed out of it. As a strategy, it was working.

After about an hour, I saw Chris lightly touch Pat on the arm and make a cute little joke. Pat practically giggled and offered to let Chris borrow the car, if needed. About 15 minutes later, both announced that the other parent was really a good parent. They both wanted the child to have a strong relationship with both parents. They would do anything to make that work. "You take Christmas!," "No, YOU take Christmas!"

The psychological evaluation had not returned for Chris but I can't explain why the one for Pat pronounced Pat mentally/emotionally healthy.

At the end of the session, they walked out with an agreement that was utterly reasonable and practical.

Sometimes it works that way. I wish it did more often. Of course, I fully expect to be hearing from them before a year is up but I relished the moment while it lasted.

3 comments:

Holee said...

I happen to love the block, red being my favorite color. The flowers do look like they are dancing around the block.

Things were different back in the 1970's. The court was about money and they didn't really care about the kids.

The Judge order "father of the year" to pay. He didn't. He went to jail for the weekend. They attached his pay. He never asked to see the kids, instead he refused to see them.

A few years ago he hunted down one of the boys and "demanded" to see his grandchildren. Son told him, "You have to be a father to have grandchildren, you weren't."

I'm glad the courts are aleast stepping in to try and help the children to have 2 parents. Anger for one parent your whole life eventually eats you up. It shouldn't happen to any child. It's ashame the court can't order a parent to parent the children he put in this world.

Love the puppy photo's! Jezebel seems to be taking her new doo pretty good.

Lady Beekeeper said...

"A few years ago he hunted down one of the boys and "demanded" to see his grandchildren. Son told him, 'You have to be a father to have grandchildren, you weren't.'"

Good for son - but I am sorry he didn't have a loving father growing up. Sounds like son will recover but "granddad" may have a few sleepless nights pondering his regrets.

Stephanie D said...

Good grief. I hope the judge orders therapy for the children.

Can we say bipolar?