"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Road from Oklahoma

We just drove in from Oklahoma and had a wonderful two weeks.

I could go on and on about what a great time we had and while I don't want to take away from that, I have to share my heart breaking news about Jezebel, our 7 year old Samoyed. We took her to the doctor the day before we left for vacation, on June 24th, because her right eye was watering and that is unusual. They found nothing.

On the morning of July 4th (our 8th wedding anniversary), I looked down and saw a pea sized tumor in her right nostril. We rushed her to the hospital in Oklahoma, they looked worried, put her under for surgery and removed it. The lab results came back several days later - cancer - and a particularly aggressive, virulent kind. It is not hopeful. She has an oncologist appointment on Monday at noon.

I am utterly heartbroken over this situation. I can't even think about it without getting emotional. The good news is that she has no idea that she is sick and is not acting sick. Her appetite is good, her energy level has not lagged. Her loving personality remains constant. So even though we may lose her and/or she may be facing horrible treatment, SHE doesn't know. She had an absolutely fabulous time in Oklahoma and I've never seen her so happy. She is a free range dog! She caught a turtle THE FIRST DAY!!!! I don't know if it is appropriate to ask for prayers for a dog but I'll do it anyway. If you have any problems with praying for a dog, I'll ask for them for Husband and me.

Oh! And I should have posted, before - looks like Austria is the pattern. Thanks for your comments!

5 comments:

jacquie said...

Oh Penny I'm so sorry to hear your news, but I am glad she and you had a wonderful time. Take good care and I will have you and her in my prayers.

Holee said...

This is heart breaking for you.Our Eskimo Griz who is also 7, is having problems with his hips. This is commom to his breed and he will eventually have to be put down so he doesn't suffer. It will break my heart.

I just read on Martha Stewart's site that she is going to get Paw Paw's grandchilden who were just born..one or maybe all 3 of them. I just don't know how she can do it this soon.

Evelyn will be so lost without her best friend. Prayers for all of you.

Stephanie D said...

Penny, I am so very sorry to hear the news about Jezebel, but I am happy she isn't showing any physical symptoms yet. I know this is so hard for you and your husband. I'll be thinking and praying for you all.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for all of you. It's so hard when our furkids are sick- I hope your time together is sweet. (((((((Penny)))))))

And welcome home!

Janet

InfinityQuilter/Knitter said...

So sorry to hear about Jezebel. The "boys" and I are sending hugs and prayers for her. Gotta love our sams! Good luck!