"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Free range pony

More about the pony – it is not really happy news.

Today, the mother of the renter showed up to make sure the pony had water. Turns out, the pony is crippled and had been sort of a “neighborhood pony” (call it “Gus” but from husband’s description, it sounds more like a she) that wandered around the neighborhood, loose. Kind of like a wild mustang, I suppose. The renter had his own pony and Gus was lonesome and wouldn’t leave. Out of kindness, they tossed Gus in with their pony. She promptly ate most of the foliage in the backyard.

The renter moved out “his” pony, but left Gus behind. Husband explained to the renter’s mother that since we aren’t living there, we can’t care for Gus and animal control was probably going to come get her. Happily, another neighbor said Gus could come live at their house so they took her over there. Husband says the poor thing’s feet are crippled and it was painful to see her try to walk.

So now Gus is gone but maybe I will get to see her when I get out there, tomorrow. I will try to take a picture and if I can, I will share, next week.

I’d planned to take the train to the Baltimore airport, tomorrow. It was going to be an all day endurance race of taking a couple of trains and bus shuttle, followed by hanging out with all the good people at the airport for several hours. Plans have changed. My neighbor has been wanting to take her kids to the Baltimore National Aquarium so I’m going with them and they’ll drop me off in time to catch my flight. That will be a lot more fun.

No comments: