"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Girls locked in with a fool

Husband is out of town and I carefully locked up the house before going to bed, last night, including placing the “portable deadbolt” that my mother gave me on the bedroom door.

No one broke in.

This morning, the girls were jumping around and NEEDED to go outside. I went to open the bedroom door but the portable deadbolt had jammed. Long story short, it took nearly 30 minutes to jimmy the thing open. At one point, I worked up into such a sweat that I shed most of my pajamas. The thought of a near naked, middle aged woman jumping up and down yanking on a door knob, snapping not so nice words and glaring at the dogs to get BACK horrifies ME. I can assure you that the girls were utterly confused. Now, my hands are stiff, bruised and there are two small blisters on my right hand. I am just grateful the house did not catch fire.

And for my next act …

4 comments:

jacquie said...

Oh no! I think I would probably still be in there. Way to go getting yourself out!

Lady Beekeeper said...

I didn't even have tools to remove the pins from the door hinges! I REALLY didn't want to have to call the neighbor for help. It was a sad, sad situation.

Nancy said...

Oh Penny, thanks for the laugh! It wouldn't have been funny if there had been an emergency, but I had this mental image....(I actually think I was the middle aged woman though, sounds like something I would do!) Tell me, do you still have the portable deadbolts or have they been consigned to the trash? (Giggle)

Anonymous said...

this is hysterical! Thanks!!

--karol