"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Friday, June 6, 2008

The Highest Form of Flattery

In one of my swaps, a nonswindling, nonsociopath sent me this absolutely gorgeous block:


I don’t know if there is a commercial pattern but I liked it so much that I attempted to draft something similar to use in my red white and blue project. Here is what I came up with:


My thought was that it would have red hearts in the center and the corners. The star burst rays would be blue, and the background would be the white (with red stars). I thought having red up against the blue star burst rays would make it pop.

So far, so good…:


Now, I began constructing the sides. Well crud.






You can see that I messed up. See which one looks different? Sadly, the DIFFERENT one is the one I want!

It should have had white along the outside – see where the arrows are pointing?


Since I already trimmed it, it is too small to just make a design adjustment. I will need to redo all four center mini blocks.

Oh well. I am sure I’ll have fun working on it. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Hi Penny, had to chuckle again today! Looke like the block will be great when you finish!

Stephanie D said...

Gorgeous block--a bit too many pieces for my skill level, but amazing! I like the way yours is beginning to look.

Perry said...

This really is a gorgeous block. I wonder if there is a commercial pattern for it. Not seen it before. Looks like you have it mastered however. Looking forward to what you end up with. If you find out what the commercial block is, please post, lol...I am too lazy to draft my own patterns.

Kathy Raker said...

What a sense of humor.LOL Love the pink/black block. Sorry to read you need to redo your block, was looking pretty good.