"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Thursday, June 12, 2008

Snatching Defeat From the Jaws of Victory

Husband has had a massive work project he has been working on for the past few months that he wrapped up, this week. He periodically has projects like this and I am used to him getting a bit, er, uptight and anxious over a period of weeks coming up to the grand finale (they always turn out swell). He was so cranky and anal for weeks before the last one that I was ready to smother him with a pillow in his sleep.

This time, however, he was really just a sweetheart. He was relaxed, he said nice things, he was patient - you wouldn't even have really known he had the project coming up except for the amount of work he was putting in (weekends, nights, etc.).

Being the wise woman that I am, I know that it is important to reward good behavior. This evening, I told him that I really appreciate how sweet he has been - he has said sweet things, has been patient, etc. It was clearly embarrassing him so I clumsily tried to wrap it up by saying, "I really appreciate it. When you act like that, it just makes me feel like you really DO love me!"

He looked aghast.

"Of course I love you, dear! Why else would I put up with you????"

Where is that pillow?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud with this one! Oh my goodness what a hoot. That man really does love you doesn't he?!

Nancy said...

Aren't men swell? Especially husbands. Better hang on to him, you have definately met your match. Sounds like he may be related to my husband...they think alike.

Stephanie D said...

Pillow therapy--good for what ails you! lol