"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Monday, June 9, 2008

Okay, This is Ridiculous

I received an invitation to join the AARP in today's mail. It says I can get a 5 year membership at a discount price. Huh. I should probably check the actuality tables to see if I am likely to survive that long.

For the love of god. Is this the beginning of the end???

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

OKAY - this is added after the original post. Husband came home, took one look at me and asked what was wrong. I shoved the AARP letter at him and he looked perplexed. "What's the big deal?"

"I'm DYING!" I told him.

"No you're not - you're just getting old... What? What did I say?"

"That is not helpful," I said.

"Just don't send them money," he said, "No sense being old AND stupid!... WHAT? What did I say?"

"They have travel discounts and stuff," I told him.

"Join the NRA - it's just as good," he said, "except you might need one of those scooters and they are probably better to help with that."

He had the grace to come apologize a little later. Or sort of apologize. It was his standard, "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings," which is his way of saying he is not sorry for what he said but IS sorry that it hurt my feelings. He thinks I don't notice. I Do notice. The problem is that I forget what he said within seconds.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Your dh probably is re-thinking suggesting you join the NRA, because then you'd have access to a gun the next time he hurt your feelings. :-). Seriously though, you should write for television, you're much more entertaining!
And when AARP tapped me last summer, I was quite put out! I may be 50, but I'm not OLD!

Lady Beekeeper said...

I had the big 5-0 in April. His birthday was 8 days later and I am wondering if his invitation will be here in about a week. Seriously, it was kind of a shock! When I think of the AARP, I think of my great aunt who recently died in her 90's.

Suzanne Earley said...

I'm still trying to figure out why I got an invite several years ago. I'm only 35.

I did laugh at your last line...........

lrmart said...

I received one and I'm only in my forty's
Your hubby sounds like mine just keep stick foot in mouth...

JessicaSews said...

OMG!
Penny, you are
so good with the pen!

This had me laughing(laughing with tears)- I had to see this story to the end!

I will remember this when I get an AARP letter, I know just what to say to DH!

Have a great week!
~ Jes