"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Sunday, May 4, 2008

Adaptation to Insomnia


I’ve read that some doctors theorize that the forgetfulness and general confusion that sometimes comes with “the change” is not actually caused by the change in hormones. Instead, the hormonal change causes sleep disturbances with the attendant mental lapses that come with sleep deprivation. I don’t know if that is true but I can tell you that I’ve not gotten a decent night’s sleep in nearly two weeks. Sooner or later, it is going to catch up with me.

So anyway, I was up at 5:30 this morning (UP, mind you – I’d tossed and turned for about 45 minutes before that). I thought I’d take advantage of my insomnia to work on a block for my Patriotic Quilt project. I selected the block pattern, “Wisconsin” from one of Carol Doak’s paper piecing blocks. I really like this block, have done it before, and thought it would look good.

Here is my work station:


I selected, ironed and cut out the fabric. Then I finished the sections.
These are the quarters before I opened them flat:


Here are the quarters:



Here are the halves.


Here is the back before I squared it off and took off the paper:


Here is the finished block!



Here are all the blocks I’ve finished, so far.

It was a nice mental break.

2 comments:

jacquie said...

Oh, Penny I can so relate to this. As I write this it's 1:12 a.m. and I'm wide awake. I've always been able to sleep so this is so strange for me. I try to make the best of it. I do some of my best work late at night! It was great to see your paper piecing. Motivated me to keep going on my star!

Lady Beekeeper said...

You will do fine on the star. It gets easier. Unfortunately, it is a bit like I imagine a crack cocaine addiction. Once you get hooked, you'd sell your body on the street for more of it. Unfortunately, I would not get enough money for my body to afford the fabric.