"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Saturday, April 5, 2008

Not so lazy Saturday

Today, I’d set my alarm to go off in time for me to be able to drive the hour and a half or so to a class for my Gammill Owners Longarm quilting group.

I woke up at 6:45 a.m. (quite late, for me) and realized that the darn alarm was SET but I’d cleverly set it to not go off on WEEKENDS. No worries. I jumped up, downed coffee, checked my e-mail, flamed someone on a message board who thinks people who own purebred dogs are snobs, ate a slab of cheese and some brownies, and headed down the road. Husband had been invited but declined to attend. I think I saw him in the rear view mirror dancing a jig because he actually had some time to himself. Traffic was no problem and I made it with time to spare.

It was a fun class and I met a lot of nice people. I can’t say that I learned a lot of NEW things, but it was certainly worthwhile because it gave me a chance to review what I’d been taught in my initial lesson. The review was excellent because it gave me peace of mind that I was doing certain things correctly, and reminded me about a few things that they taught me but I'd forgotten.

When I got home around 5:00 p.m., husband and I had a glass of relaxation on the deck.

After that, I took a quick nap.

When I woke, I worked a little on the Think Romance Quilt. There is one particular block that I really, really like because the fabrics chosen and design are particularly fetching. I picked it up to add a line of pink/white squares and realized that the block was a half inch too big. Accordingly, that cuts off the points when I try to incorporate it into the quilt. It is such a pretty block that I wanted to see if I could tinker with it so that it fits.

I prepared to dismantle it and cut down some of the pieces when I realized that a quick stitch along two center seams (which for some reason had been stitched with a 1/8th inch seam, which might be why it was too large to begin with) would do the trick. So I did that and now it is the right size and all is swell.

Here are some of the blocks, in progress, on my design wall (the photo does NOT include the block I doctored).


The design wall is way too small to hold all the blocks but I wanted to see how it was coming together. Take a look at the design I posted on March 31 to compare how it is coming along.

I’m scratching my head and thinking this quilt is going to be way too big. I'll decide, later, if I want to sash it. If I do, I think it would be a small sash in a neutral color. Sure would help to line up all those seams, wouldn't it?

No comments: