"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Sunday, February 24, 2008

Bevy of Beauties - Longarms at the Quilt Show

We went to the Hampton Quilt show, yesterday, and test drove several long arms. We started with the Gammill and I was favorably impressed with the Premier Plus. The dealer is in West Virginia and he seemed to know his stuff. I liked the feel, it looked easy to handle, felt great and I liked what I saw. I’d read that some people think it is too loud and so listened for that but it didn’t bother me. It helped that Husband was there to ask pertinent machine related questions but at a certain point, they started talking stress and switches and stressed metal and stretched machines and vibration and manly things so I just ate some of the chocolate they’d set out because it was not yet noon. The Gammill seemed like a sweet gal, the kind you’d want as a friend and neighbor. She is well respected in the quilting neighborhood, well made, the size is right and the price isn’t bad for a long arm.

From there, we cruised over to the APSQ display and I got to try out the Lenni. I have really been looking forward to checking out the Lenni and had already half decided that this was the girl for me. I was a little worried about her wheels because I read something about the direction they are attached. Not sure what that means but I am a veritable sponge and absorbed SOMETHING about wheels in my research - not sure what. Hmmm. Although I liked the feel, after listening to the guys discussing aluminum and steel and machine heads and stuff over at the Gammill table, the thing looked a little frail in comparison. I think that colored my perception. I kept expecting it to fall over or have something fall off. Moreover, the table didn’t look nearly as substantial. I think it used PVC. I am normally a big fan of PVC but this time, it didn’t sit well. I think at this point, I was in the mood to buy a bulldozer or something. For that matter, "Nothing Runs Like a Deer." She seemed a little flighty like she would abruptly flip off her panties and shave her head. I am not sure I really gave the Lenni a chance but I could barely wait to leave and hot foot it over to the Nolting.

The Nolting was cool but it was ugly. It also looked old and dirty. Now, I don’t think it was really old, ugly or dirty but for some reason, that was my impression. It was also very, very expensive. Husband seemed to like her but wasn’t saying much. I’ve been telling him the prices but wonder if it was starting to actually sink in.

We then checked out the A-1 and OMG, I fell in love. It was heavy and quiet and smooth and had a cool table and, and, and… was VERY expensive. About $7,000 more than the Gammill. It is headquartered in Springfield, MO. My FIL lives there – surely that is a sign? The thing was like a gold digger whispering in my ear, telling me it loved me and asking for my checkbook. We stayed there a long time. A lady in a nearby booth stopped us as we left to tell me that she had researched for two years before buying an A-1 and LOVED it!

We walked back to the Gammill and the sound it made (which didn’t bother me, before) was deafening. I felt like the whole coliseum was in the midst of an earthquake. It was a horrid, old, dried up thing with a hacking voice. I kept looking back over my shoulder at the A-1 siren whispering that $7,000 was NOTHING, NOTHING – a small price to pay for happiness. I could barely hear her because her voice was so low and quiet. I got to worrying that as soon as I left her side, someone else would buy up all the machines and there wouldn’t be any left for me.

Husband was asking me if I REALLY wanted an industrial strength long arm or would a hobby machine do.

If I buy the Gammill, today, I can save $120.00. Let’s see, that is a discount of about 1% if I rush a decision.

Maybe I need to check out the HQ16 (a hobby long arm). I didn’t see one at the show. We checked out some other hobby long arms – Tin Lizzie and Voyager. Very nice…sniff.

I want the A-1 for the price of a Tin Lizzie. I’m thinking the Gammill.

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

Redneck Diva said...

Okay, you said that one cost $7000 MORE than another one. Omg, girl! You must REALLY like to quilt, LOL!

Lady Beekeeper said...

Well, I really do. I just wish the quality of my work reflected my enthusiasm.

Anonymous said...

I read on another list that you purchased the Gammill. A good machine to be sure.

But in your comparison on cost to the A1 you need to know that the upper end of Gammill is what you should have been comparing your cost. The Gammill you purchased would be compared to the Lenni, Nolting 18 and probably HQ16. So that was like comparing apples to candy. One is terrific and one is good.

Don't forget to purchase earplugs. If you thought the Gammill sounded was loud in the big, wide open space of a coliseum then man it's really going to be loud at home.

Lenni might have looked frail because of all the small long arm machines it's the only one you can take apart and store easily.

Nolting may have not been pleasing to the eye but it was the first long arm on the market. Even their 18" has an industrial motor.

Check out http://maryquilts.blogspot.com who I believe owns the same machine. She's one great quilter. There are also several good forums (free) that will be helpful.

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll love your machine and it will love you too.

Lady Beekeeper said...

I'm not trying to compare the cost of the A-1 with the premier plus because there is, unfortunately no comparison. I'd get the A-1 in a heart beat if it was in my budget. I have to limit myself to the premier plus and lenni-type machines if I want one, at all. Maybe someday...

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just read your comment about buying an affordable longarm (or midarm). I am not sure if you know that the Lenni is available on a table that does not fold down. It sounds like you were looking at the foldable table. I bought the Lenni on a solid table and it is very sturdy. It was reccomended to me to not buy the foldable table as it is not as good of a table. In addition, the solid table is actually $1000.00 less than the foldable one. Realistically anone who has a long-arm set up is not going to take it down for the occasional guest to use the room. It is a big deal to set up so no one wants to do it any more than they have to. The reason I went with the Lenni is that it has the biggest throat for the "inexpensive models" and is completely stitch regulated. The throat width on the Lenni is 20". I think the width on the Gammil that you were looking at was 18". I have no affilaiation with APQS I am just a happy customer who has gotten great service. Stitch regulation was the biggest selling point as it makes the learning curve so much better. You can add stitch regulation to the Gammil but it will cost you more. Just making sure you have all the information as it is a big ticket purchase.