"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Great Cowboy Boot Experiment

My husband collects vintage cowboy boots and we have pairs scattered throughout the house masquerading as decor. 50 years ago, people had smaller feet. I am not a big woman by today's standards but compared to a few decades ago, I am much more like an evil step sister than Cinderella.

I mentioned that I was going to try to paperpiece a cowboy boot wall hanging. I have never done this and thought I'd chronicle my attempts. I started out with a picture of a boot. I took a lot of pictures but the reason I picked this one was because it is a shortie (a style) which I like, and because I wanted to see some of the front of the heel. I also like the way the toe shows wear.

From that, I tried to eliminate as many lines as possible and still keep the main ones. I fiddled some more with it and outlined the edges.





Thereafter, I traced straight lines on my first draft pattern using my light box (I have a small battery powered light under my extension table) and made additional enlargements.




The next step is going to be to try to break it down to sections to create a workable pattern. I've never done this so it may not work. But in the short time I have before I have to get ready for work, I thought I'd post my progress. If you click on the pictures they get larger and you can see more detail. As if you'd want to. Do not look at the dust on the boot. That has been in my living room.

Perhaps I can return to this later if things don't get too busy. I'm visiting clients in jail, today, and this would be a nice thing to be able to come home to.

Tip of the day - avoid jail at all costs. The only happy people are the ones who are walking out (and some of them ain't so happy, either).

No comments: