"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Thursday, January 31, 2008

Fridays, freetime, GALs and longarms

I don’t have court tomorrow which means I can work at home. I have a few letters to write and quite a few phone calls I need to make. However, if all goes well, I might be able to take off early and work on some piecing. Fridays tend to be very busy or very light but you never know until the day which way it is going to go.

I primarily do guardian ad litem (GAL) work and do not accept private clients. As GAL for children, I am not bound by my client’s wishes so I don’t have the ethical dilemmas I would if I were defense counsel. GAL’s are supposed to advocate in the best interests of the child – We don’t choose a position based upon who is signing our paycheck. For example, if a young lady who is the object of a custody dispute wants to live with her mother because her mother allows the child’s boyfriends to sleep over, I am free to tell the judge what I think and make recommendations that I think are appropriate. Most of the time the right thing to do is pretty obvious. However, there are enough judgment calls involved that it keeps you humble. Sometimes I feel like I am playing god and, unfortunately, I bear little resemblance to the Almighty. Fortunately, the judges that I practice before are, to a person, excellent. The longer I work in this field the more admiration, respect and trust I have in their wisdom. They see it all and consistently “get” it. Sure, mistakes are sometimes made but overall, not too often. And that is why we have appeals.

I am in the beginning stages of researching to get a longarm quilting machine. They are horribly expensive, even used. In a few weeks my husband and I are planning to travel to the regional quilt show to test drive a few. I am mechanically disinclined but he isn’t and I appreciate that he is willing to take off work to take some for a spin. He thinks quilt shows are where post menopausal women hang out and that attending such a show is a fine birth control method. In my younger years I was quicker with a comeback but these days, the man regularly leaves me speechless. I mean, really, what can you say in response to that? I have all but decided to NOT get an HQ16 but the final decision is not made. Thinking (just thinking) of a APQS Lenni or a Gammil Premier Plus.


More as my research progresses. Anyone with insight into choosing a longarm is encouraged to post your thoughts.

photos - taken off the internet. The Lenni is from Country Lane Quilting.

No comments: