"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Blustery Day

A front is coming through and it is supposed to have gusts to 50 MPH (up from 24 MPH). The trees out back are swaying and I can just see their silhouettes against the eastern sky. I love it when the days start to lengthen, again.

Today's "To Do" list:

1. Disposition hearing (it is like sentencing for a juvenile) for a young lady who attacked her mother. Her father is in prison in another state.

Done. The child is at the group home and seems to have a good attitude about it. She and mom are talking, again!

2. Arraignment on a Destruction of Property charge against a young man who threw a tantrum at the local youth shelter where he was staying because he attacked his mother. His father passed away last year.

Done. He and Mom are talking again and things are looking MUCH better!

3. Foster care hearing for a child who has been in foster care for two years. His mother has been doing a pretty good job with him but it has come to light that she is doping him to keep him under control. He attacked her a few months ago and she is still a bit nervous about that. His father can't come near him due to a restraining order. Not sure what we need to do about this one ...

Done. Mom continues to work hard to do the right thing and it turns out she wasn’t doping him – they’d just changed his meds. New services are being ordered and I’m guardedly optimistic about the situation.

4. Visit a client at the youth shelter. He has additional charges pending because he threatened to bomb the facility and attacked staff. He also has an inappropriate crush on a staff member. He also informed staff he "knows where you live." He is at the shelter because he attacked his mother. He is eleven. His father thinks there is nothing wrong with him.

Done. Child is now in detention instead of the shelter so I visited him there. He is mad at the staff member that he used to have a crush on but thinks I have beautiful eyes … Did I mention he is eleven?

5. Set a hearing for an uncontested divorce that I am doing pro bono.

Sort of done. They need some documents, first.

6. Swing by the LQS to see what is new.

Had to skip. Went to the Group home, instead, and two of my old girls are back. Sorry they are back but thrilled to see them again.

7. Clean the downstairs bathroom.

8. Finish the cowboy boot block. Yesterday I drafted it on EQ5. I just love that program. Then I pieced the different parts.

The last picture shows it to the point where it needs the background. I need to read up on piecing curves since I don't know what I am doing. I put a book about curves in my bag and hope I'll be able to bone up on it while waiting on cases.

9. Select the pattern and fabric for the next block in the Think Romance block swap.

10. Gather tax stuff.

11. Get an affidavit executed for a business matter.

Looks like an easy day!

5 comments:

Tracey in CT said...

Wow, thats a lot of sad stuff to deal with.
The boot is really nice, and the trip to the LQS sounds like it should be the highlight of the day!

Lady Beekeeper said...

Thanks, on the boots! Ended up not going to the LQS but it turned into a pretty productive day. It netted out happier than sad.

SandyQuilts said...

WOW you are a strong woman. Cute boots.

scraphappy said...

Wow, what an amazing boot -- I am in awe of drafting a pattern from an actual boot and figuring out how to turn it into a pattern. I'm sure I would have just tried to find a boot pattern somewhere! I am inspired by your creativity.

Lady Beekeeper said...

Thanks, Scraphappy! I have absolutely no idea what I am doing but having a fun time figuring it out. So far, it hasn't been to difficult. Let's see what happens when I start trying to stitch on a background!