But today, I can post photos of a handbag with yo-yos I finished that was the first project for a group called, "The Twelve of Us." It was fun, easy, and the only problem I had with it was that I kept thinking it was too small. I mentioned this project in an earlier post.
I used a free online pattern for an origami bag which called for a drawstring. You could make it any size and the handbag that I made was from two fat quarters (actually, about 20 X 20). If I were to do it, again, I would increase the size of the fabric used to about 24 x 24. Because of the style and shape, it is thick enough to not need any batting or permanent stabilizer. Here are some construction photos (but if you want to make it, refer to the directions because I didn't include every step):
You put together two equal sized squares, right sides facing:
Stitch all the way around leaving a two inch wide gap to reverse it:
After reversing it, I went back around with a decorative stitch to to close:
Next, you fold into a triangle and then fold down the top about two thirds of the way down:
This is the tricky part - you need to mark it from the edges to the bottom like I did in the following picture. It is tricky because if you are off, it messes up the purse. I had to redo this one because I didn't have it exactly even:
See? When I did it, it veered to the left and created a flap at the corner. I had to take out the stitching to get it square. Save yourself the trouble and do it right the first time!
This next step is a little hard to understand so read the directions. The gist of it is that you run a stitch on your marked line, then fold it back.
Then fold the other side back.
At some point, you fold the whole thing inside out and stitch it so that it sets flat. Look at the directions
to know how to do that. You're supposed to then fold over the flap and stitch it down about a half inch for the drawstring. I stitched it down but put on handles, instead.
Here it is, again:
I originally made two small ones to experiment:
They are just so darn cute.
I like the inside:
I was supposed to include yo-yos so I used them to hide the stitches where I added the handles:
I admit it, fabric glue was also involved...
Outside shot so you can see the stitches:
I have a Janome that has some sweet stitches but I never, never use them so was happy to have an excuse.
If you fold up the front, you can see the other fabric:
I had been wanting to make a purse and this one was super easy and fast. I plan to make more.
The next project for this group is a cover for a sketch book for my friend, Amanda. I've never made one so that will be a challenge. It will be revealed in a few weeks so in the meantime, I will try to do better about blogging.
BTW - the girls are swell!