"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wild Kingdom

Had a great walk out on our property, west of us.  We have 53 acres, half of which is now being farmed but the other half has a couple of small ponds on it and is left wild.  Everytime I go out and scout around, I see something that delights me.

When I crested the hill by the pond, about ten GIANT bullfrogs leaped into the water:
I kid you not, they had to be 10 - 14 inches in length with heads the size of softballs.

I found a couple of empty turtle shells:
And one full one:
Bunch of flowers:




 Love our dynamic Oklahoma sky:

 Dead stuff:
At least a zillion grasshoppers, most of whom appeared to be making out with their sweethearts:
These rascals snuck up on me while I was listening to try to locate a woodpecker I heard pecking.  I felt something looking at me, turned, and there they were.  
Funny, before we moved to Virginia, I thought the deer in Oklahoma were tiny in comparison.  I guess it is because I didn't live on this side of town where there are larger grazing areas.  The west side of town in closer to the plains/ranchland and I grew up in the CrossTimbers - primarily scrub oaks on the East side.   These boys are every bit as big as what I saw back east - maybe bigger.

Someday, maybe I will be able to take Grandson out to explore - hope so!

Too much to do, today, to blog further.

Happy Quilting, Penny, Evelyn and Pearl