"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Friday, June 17, 2011

Crayon Quilt and Fabric Foil


I've been finishing up a quilt for the world's most beautiful baby, my grandson, Charlie. Charlie is only four months old but is showing every indication of having the potential of being the first perfect toddler in the history of man.
As soon as I returned home after Charlie was born, I started on a Crayon Quilt. I used my existing stash for all but the backing:

 I was going to use some of my stash for the backing but when I saw this fabric, I had to have it:


 Here is the border:
 This is before I've stitched on the border:
 It is simply quilted - just a large meander for the most part:
 
 I've machine stitched down the binding but haven't handstitched it down, yet:
I've also been working on a project for one of my online groups where we exchange handmade gifts using materials or a theme selected by the members on a rotating basis. This time, we are supposed to use fabric foil to make something. I have no idea what I am doing with this project and am sort of floundering. I decorated a yard of fabric, thinking I could use it to prepare a gift. Here are some photos of that attempt.

The following is a photo of several fabric foil pieces, the bottle of adhesion, a sponge and some leaves I used as stamps:
 These leaves came off one of the Post Oaks in the front yard:
 I globbed on adhesion (glue) to the backs and used them as a stamp:
I decided that I didn't use enough glue on several of the leaves.  Here is a photo of the glue while it is air drying:
I covered everything with freezer paper to keep it from getting too messy.  This glue was stickier than you'd think.
 This is the end result of my first effort:
The way you apply the foil is to first let the glue air dry about 2.5 hours.  At that point, you cover the dried glue with a foil sheet, colored side up.   Then, with an iron on the cotton setting, you use the edge and press it away from your body for several strokes.  After a few seconds to let it "catch," you peel off the foil and some of it remains on the fabric:
 There are several colors on each leaf because I used multiple colors on each one:
 Close-ups:



 I thought it was pretty, but I am not sure how I would be able to use this for this project:


As a second attempt at this project, I made a muted colored nine patch (12 inch finished block) and instead of using leaves, I used a quilting stencil and some stamps. It didn't turn out like I wanted.  The frustrating part of that was that part of the block looked great but the rest looked yucky. 

So after that, for a third effort, I stamped a bunch of separate pieces with a flower stamp and used different colors of foil. By doing that, I was able to pick and choose which ones I wanted to use in my project. I cut them out in smaller blocks to combine, later, but still am not sure what I am going to do with it. I'll let you know...

Happy Quilting, Penny, Evelyn and Pearl

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your crayon quilt! Years ago, the second quilt I ever made was a crayon quilt - a bit different than yours (the pattern for mine came out of an old issue of QuiltMaker magazine:).

I've done a fair bit of the foiling thing you are doing. IN addition to using the gloppy gray glue you are using, I've done it with fusible webbing. You get a more defined shape with the webbing. If you want your leaves to be less impressionistic and more realistic, you might try using webbing shapes.

:) linda

Lady Beekeeper said...

Thanks, Linda. Plan A was to use the fusible but for reasons that escape me, now, I used glue, instead. I hate to admit it but the glue was there and the fusible was in the drawyer and it may not have been any more complicated a decision than that.