"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Grandpa Wonderful

I had a lovely birthday on Sunday.   First thing, my son and daughter-in-heart called to let me skype with Charlie (I'll try to get some photos of Charlie but since I am not there, I don't have many to share).   Thrilled me to death.

Mr. Wonderful, in addition to giving me my new camera, also baked a cake and gave me a sweet card (also a card from the girls).
 I got an extension tube to take close up photos.  Here are a few:
An extension tube is just about what it sounds - it is a hollow, metal tube that you put between the camera body and the lens, increasing the distance of the lens from the camera.  Nothing else involved - there is just air in the cylinder.  The distance between the lens and the camera magnifies whatever it is you are photographing:
There are macro specialty lenses that are more exact but they cost hundreds of dollars for a good one.  I've spent already more money that I need to for a bit.  An extension tube is a poor man's macro substitute.  Below is a shot of my paper napkins:
This seed is on the shrub in the front planter:
I have to think that is probably a hair off Pearlie:
Mr. Wonderful's corncob pipe:
The top of a little keepsake box:
Self explanatory:
My engagement ring - it belonged to Mr. Wonderful's grandmother:
We had a dropped ceiling in the kitchen that was very well constructed but made both of us a bit claustrophobic.  I have wanted it to be gone since before we moved in a year and a half ago.  Husband insisted last summer that it was a "winter" project.  Well, it didn't get done this winter.  I brought this to his attention and he said, "I never said WHICH winter."

I was not amused.

Well, maybe a little.

At any rate, bright and early the next morning (my birthday!), he began pulling down the ceiling:
Before too long, his dad dropped by to help:
My father-in-law is a marvel.  Almost 86 and he has more energy than most young at heart 50 year olds:
He is a handsome fella:
What a splendid face:
Trust me, he's adorable: 
Mr. Wonderful and his dad are close and I love to watch them working on something, together:
The lines of his face are strong: 
The man did a good job raising his son and I appreciate it.

I wouldn't feel right to not include a photo of the girls:
It isn't the best photo but I liked the action.  That's Pearl in the middle and Kaci in the front.  Kaci is my father-in-law's dog.

Here's what Kaci looks like when she isn't holding off my two hoodlums:

Don't let that sweet face fool you.  She can whip my girls' butts. 

Happy Quilting, Penny, Evelyn and Pearl

2 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

Oh, I'm so happy that you're happy these days!!!! And I'm loving those pictures, girlfriend!!!!

Carol - OklaTwister said...

Love your new camera lenses!! We can tell you are having so much fun with them!