I will let you know what I think of the books. I really want to try my hand at it but with Husband underfoot all the time (he works at home), I am not sure when I will get around to it. I don't think it is fair to him to drop another hobby on his head. He has been enormously patient but he must have a limit, somewhere. The dolls might finally help him find it. :)
But to get back to Lady Melinda, another reason I haven't moved forward is because I'd reached a point where I knew it was going to get dicey. I decided I didn't like this pennant:
But here is the big problem. I wanted to paint the background to add a light sunrise/sunset feel to it and I was afraid it would run and ruin it. With good reason. Here are a few photos, in progress:
Compared to our Oklahoma sunrises, this one looks washed out:
It looks pale above the torso because that is where the head will be stitched/painted. I am not sure if I will just paint in the hair or try to incorporate yarn or wool.
She also has a "grass stain" on the cape and belly:
I am not horribly worried about it. I'll soak it in water and get some of it out. Moreover, it is pale enough that I think I can cover it up and it won't be particularly noticeable when I get it quilted, anyway. More troublesome is a spot on the sky that has stubbornly resisted taking paint. It is on the left side of the pennant, near the tip:
Next step, after trying to get out the stains (which will take a day or so to allow to dry, afterwards) is to heat set it. Then, I will do my best to draw in the face and arm with water soluble marker.
Pray for me.
I'll also draw in quilting marks on the dress and cloak.
After that, I'll square it up, put in double layers of batting (poly on top) and hit it with the longarm.
Still have a long way to go.
Happy Quilting, Penny, Evelyn and Pearl