"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Day After the Day After the Day After


Sunday morning (the morning after packing the moving van) was hell. I woke up about 5:00 because my legs were screaming in pain. I downed some aspirin, which usually does the trick but it barely made a dent. A couple of hours later, Husband stumbled out of bed, also straight to the aspirin bottle. By noon, both of us were feeling better and by Monday morning, most of the pain was behind us.

I spent a good part of Monday breaking down my office, throwing out trash, and dragging lighter items down the hall to the stairs. Some of the things are items that just didn’t make the truck. Others are going to Craigslist, a garage sale or the dumpster. I am pleased that my office/sewing room is not going to take much work to clean/repair. The walls and carpet are in nearly new shape.

The truck arrived in Oklahoma City, last night. The driver parked his rig at our house to sleep. Husband and I were both distressed that we weren't there to do our share. We are most appreciative of family who took off work to do the heavy lifting. We got a call before 11:00 from the driver who had dropped off our things and was on his way home to Colorado. Took them less than three hours!

The second truck will come back through after Thanksgiving. We are planning to head out around the 15th of December but I wouldn’t be shocked if it was a few days sooner. Anyway you look at it, less than seven weeks!

Evelyn pulled up lame on moving day but the limp is all but gone, today. She has been pretty cranky with Pearl and I don’t know if that is just because she has been sore or because she is just fed up with Pearl’s puppy silliness.

Pearl is about fifty pounds and has taken to hanging out in my lap. Seriously.

I’ve been reconstructing my resume and lining up references for a job hunt. That’s one of those things no one with any sense looks forward to. With the passage of time, some of the things I once would have included no longer seem as important. I’ve identified one job I’m interested in but working at the feed store appeals to me, more. Plus, it is right down the street from my house! I expect I will be ready to get back to regular work by the time we get back home but right now, it is not foremost on my mind.

Our barn’s roof was leaking and we had the flashing repaired and nail holes patched. The roofer thinks that will do the trick. We also had metal bracing installed. It is two stories tall and needed to be stabilized. We’d already repaired the foundation. It still needs new siding, especially on the east and west ends but that can wait until we get home.

I decided that in the interest of not killing my husband, I needed some quilting therapy to relieve the stress of moving. I planned to launch into some sewing after putting in a couple of hours doing “moving” stuff. My sewing room is one of the least cluttered in the house:



No luck. I got a new IPhone and was figuring it out for most of the afternoon. Maybe tomorrow. In the meantime, pray for my husband. He may not survive the night if he continues to be bossy.

7 comments:

Stephanie D said...

I think you two need more wine.

Shogun said...

I had to laugh at the part about not killing your husband. Quilting time relaxes me, too. I cannot even imagine all the stress from moving.

Miriam said...

I am another one who needs to sew to relax. :)
I'm glad all your belongings arrived safely.
I hope the rest of your move proceeds smoothly.

tisme said...

First of all, I had to look twice when I clicked your link on my sidebar, I thought it took me back to mine! We both picked the same Halloween background. lol
Good luck with your move, seems to be going along well, of course try not to kill of your husband just yet, you still need him to lift more.
lol

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

Whenever we go through a move our Abbey gets a little cranky. I think they pick up on the stress in the house. Plus everything is in boxes...weird men are in the home taking things out....it's a hard time for a dog. We just always give her extra attention during that time and I make sure to take her on long walks to help get some of her nervous energy out.
Hope that helps!!
dawn

Katie Z. said...

We're talking about moving in the next year, and I look at all our stuff, then at your pictures of boxes, and think it is time to PURGE! Good luck with all the packing, and congrats on going home.

Anonymous said...

Yes, more wine!
Moving is stressful on a marriage, that's for sure.
All the best to you!
-Sara