"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

I watched the Inauguration on television most of the day. At a certain point, most of the news coverage was nation-wide so I didn't really have much incentive in reporting from close to ground zero (from a distance). I worked on two blocks with an inauguration theme and turned off my business phone. Today was too important to skip. Both are designed by Marcia Hohn from Quilter's Cache. This one is White House Steps.


I paper pieced a star for the center.


The other one is Inauguration Day.


Around 11:40, the television showed pictures of President Obama as he was preparing to walk out to be sworn. Unexpectedly, I was struck with a horrible sense of dread. It was not a premonition - I just suddenly became very worried about his safety. I know this probably sounds goofy but I frantically grabbed a candle and a lighter. I could not get the candle to light, at first. It really distressed me. I finally got the wick to catch, watching the television all the while. I set the candle down and was praying, aloud, for President Obama's safety. I like to have a candle going while I pray. Don't ask me why because I don't really know.

The damn candle went out.

I looked around and found another one, lit it, and continued to pray. I sat at my sewing machine (which is in front of a TV) but didn't sew. As they showed President Obama walking to the podium, I stood. It was just the right thing to do. Maybe it is a generational thing but you show respect at times like these even if no one is watching.

The speech. Hmmm. Not what I expected. I think many liberals will be reassured and many conservatives will be uneasy, even alarmed. As I said, the speech was not what I expected.

I am so thankful that it all went off without a major hitch. President Obama's children are just so adorable and Michelle Obama is so lovely. I thought President Obama was very classy to President Bush (and vice versa as befitting the positions). I wish them both well and will continue to keep them in my prayers.

No comments: