"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Saturday, September 6, 2008

Surf and Sand - Netherlands Block


My kids each spent time in the Netherlands when they were in college. In their honor, I did the pattern "Netherlands" out of Carol Doak's Mariner's Compass Stars book. I think it turned out pretty well.

Here is the pattern from the book if you'd like to compare:


We got over 6.5 inches of rain out of Hurricane Hannah! We had a little wind but mostly it was just rain. The girls came in from doing their business looking like skinny wet rats. Evelyn, in particular, looked miffed at the inconvenience. I woke up with a terrible headache - perhaps due to the low pressure system - and ended up sleeping off the benadryl from mid morning to mid afternoon so I missed most of the rain. We went out to eat Mexican food this afternoon and when we got back, I goofed off then started on this block. It took a little time - not one that went together as easy as some but it really wasn't difficult. Just tricky.

Here are all the blocks for this project, to date!:



3 comments:

Stephanie D said...

It's looking gorgeous, Penny! And that block you weren't as happy with--Indiana--looks like confetti from a distance and really does seem to fit in.

We got NOTHING from Hanna--and we are on mandatory water restrictions here in the mountains of NC. We sure needed some of that moisture.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed these blocks the first time around in the Patriotic colors and I'm enjoying them as much now. At some point I'm going to have to get Carol's book and play with this. The color play with "Sand and Surf" is just as interesting and fun.

Teri

Becky said...

I love those blocks. Makes me want to get my book out and get busy making blocks. Keep sharing. :-)