"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Monday, April 14, 2008

Fall/Winter Fat 8th Swap


Last Fall, I was part of a Fat Eighth Swap with the ladies on the HGTV Message Board. The theme was Fall/Winter and a lot of people picked gorgeous holiday fabric. I selected a line called "Angels Among Us" which I am certain caused some dismay because it is such a, hmm, hum drum color. Nothing dramatic about it. Regardless, the ladies did a spectacular job creating blocks.

So here are a few on my design wall, prior to quilting.


Don't they look "flat?"

I decided to try to pull in all the colors by making a border from the scraps.


On a wild hair, I threw the top on the long arm last night to see what I could come up with.


I had some problems with tension, thread breakage and slipped stitches but cleaned the longarm and otherwise tinkered with it and got that straightened out. It was a great learning experience. I spent about an hour and a half on it.

I threw the quilt into the washer, last night, tossed it into the dryer and here is how it looked, this morning:

I'm pretty tickled with it.



I couldn't resist taking a few pictures with the girls. They were as thrilled about that as they look in the pictures.








5 comments:

Michelle said...

Your Angels quilt is beautiful and I think your assistants make super models...they wear the quilt perfectly! :)

jacquie said...

You should be thrilled. It's amazing what a difference the quilting makes. Lovely models as well!

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt, Penny. The girls seem to be happy with it, too.

TxPat

Anonymous said...

The quilt is great.
But what I find amazing is how the girls pose for you! My 2 dogs refuse to sit together to pose! Nevermind looking in the same direction!!
Of course, the camera strap seems to remind them a lot of the leash..and they get all excited...and the moment is gone!
-karol

scraphappy said...

Your quilt looks terrific. I love the effect that washing it had. So warm and snuggly looking!