"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Sunday, March 30, 2008

Weekend Artist - or - don't quit your day job


Yesterday, I took a break from practicing on the Gammill for some quilting (or piecing) therapy. I spent a little time designing the quilt I want to make for the blocks I’ve received from the Think Romance swap. I used the EQ5 program.

My initial thought was that I wanted to construct a sort of Storm at Sea sashing with Diamond in Square cornerstones and Diamonds in between the blocks. I want to make this a queen size quilt, which a little daunting but now that I have the longarm, I want to give it a go.

First, I made templates for the diamond in square and the 12 inch diamond.


After that, I pondered the colors. I went ahead and worked on the diamond in square cornerstones, first.


I used my focus fabric for the center and cut out a ton of 2.5 inch squares.


After that, I cut out the side triangles. I have a set of the Fons and Porter triangle templates but have not used them. I wasn’t sure it would be worth the time but decided to try them, anyway. Man oh man. It really helped on accuracy. I did some speed piecing which is kind of fun.


Here is a picture on the ironing board. I ended up making 30 of them.


And here is a photo of a stack of them before they are squared up.


After I finished the cornerstones, I put them on the design wall with some of the Think Romance blocks. Hmmm. I decided that would be way too busy. I can use this design for some other project with simpler blocks.

So now, I’ve decided to chuck that design and alternate with neutral 9 square pinks. Something more like this:


I can get two quilts out of this swap if I do it that way. I will probably be able to use some of the cornerstones for this quilt or I may just use them for another project.

Edited to add the last picture and comments - I tinkered a bit more with the design and came up with another. It uses most of the blocks AND some of the cornerstones.



In the interest of expediency, EQ5 designs use just sample blocks and fabrics - not ones that I actually have available.

No comments: