"On the plains of Oklahoma, with a windshield sunset in your eyes like a watercolor painted sky, you'd think heavens doors have opened."
Fly Over States



Sunday, February 3, 2008

Finished the Cowboy Boot Wall Hanging



I have been working on a cowboy boot wallhanging as a surprise for my husband, who collects vintage cowboy boots. While I am posting this, it is in the wash getting some shrinkage to add texture. I've previously posted some pictures but here are a few more showing the process, start to finish:

The first picture is my boot model (previously posted):

Here is the EQ5 graphic (previously posted) - I traced a foundation pattern for the boot proper:
After getting a rough pattern, I paper pieced the boot portion (previously posted):












Added a background - this was a bear and I had no idea what I was doing:


The initial borders:










My favorite border book is "Border Workbook." I added a seminole square border and used my slotted ruler to get uniform pieces:










I sandwiched it, birthed it (no binding) and handstitched it closed. Here is the wall hanging, quilted (pre washed):


It measures 20 inches square.

2 comments:

Tracey in CT said...

Wow, this is cool!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.